Cavities are created from the destruction of our tooth enamel until enough damage has been done to create a hole in the tooth. If we are lax with our oral health, cavities will have a chance to thrive. To better protect your mouth from the effects of cavities, practice safe and effective oral health care habits. Keep your smile safe and strong with these cavity-fighting tactics:
– Maintain optimum oral health care habits that include brushing your teeth and gums twice daily and flossing your teeth at least once daily with ADA or dentist-approved cleaning tools.
– Avoid foods and snacks that can easily adhere to your teeth and gums, such as sticky sweets, chewy snacks, and gummy treats.
– Studies have shown that chewing dentist-approved sugarless gum for at least twenty minutes after a meal can spur the creation of saliva in your mouth, which has been demonstrated to help prevent cavities.
– Plan appointments with our team at Ninth Street Dental for oral exams and bi-annual professional cleanings.
– For additional oral health protection, add a water flosser or mouthwash to your oral hygiene habits.
– Eat healthy and beneficial foods and snacks during mealtime, and limit snacking between meals.
Dr. Shirin Mashhoon and our team want to keep your mouth healthy and cavity-free. If you would like to schedule an appointment to come see us at our dental office in Durham, North Carolina, please call 919-286-9090 to speak with a member of our team. Let us help you win the fight against cavities!